Pearls are a timeless piece of jewelry, simple yet elegant at the same time. For some, they’re a valuable family heirloom; for others just a nice piece of jewelry that they adore and only wear for the absolute most special of occasions. Regardless of what they might mean to you, if you own them, it’s important that you know the proper way to care for them if you wish to keep them in good condition. If you’re here because you’re wondering just how to do that, we’ve got some tips for you.
Cleaning Your Pearls
Pearls are a lot more delicate than stones such as diamonds are, and as such it’s important to treat them with more care. Unless a jewelry cleaner specifically says it’s safe to use on pearls, it’s far better to be safe than sorry and not use it. What you will need to clean your pearls properly is:
- Clean soft, cotton cloths.
- Mild soap.
- Lukewarm water.
- First, check your jewelry to make sure it is not damaged. If it’s a string of pearls for a necklace or bracelet, make sure the string is not weakened or stretched out, and be sure the clasp works properly without giving you any issues. If they are in a pair of earrings, make sure they are still firmly attached to their post.
- Then, you’ll want to take your soft cloth and dip it in your warm, soapy water. The temperature of the water is important, as anything that is either too hot or too cold will damage the delicate pearls.
- Wipe down the pearls with the damp cloth; do not submerge the entire piece of jewelry in the water, as this may weaken the string or post it’s attached to.
- After wiping down all the pearls, you’ll want to take another soft cloth and get it wet with fresh, clean water, and then wipe down all the pearls once again, to be sure you have removed all the soap from them to avoid damaging them.
- Once you are satisfied it is clean and soap free, gently dry your pearls off and then lay them down on another clean, soft towel and allow them to air dry before putting them away.
Other Tips To Help Keep Your Pearls In Good Condition
Other than just keeping your pearls clean, there are a few other things you can do if you want your pearls to last a lifetime. These things include:
- Putting them on last. Things such as perfume and hairspray can cause damage to your pearls, so it’s important to put your pearls on last after things like that are dry and unable to cause damage to them.
- Wear them often. Wearing your pearls often keeps them from drying out, which keeps them looking beautiful.
- When you take them off, make sure they’re the first thing to come off, and give them a quick, careful wipe down with a soft cloth.
- Store them carefully. Because pearls are so delicate, it’s important to keep them away from other jewelry that can easily scratch them. In addition, you will also want to store them flat and in a soft bag made of silk or cotton or something that will not cause them damage.
Pearls are a beautiful piece of jewelry that will last you the rest of your lifetime if you care for them properly. If you’re in the market for a new set of pearls, contact us today so we can help get you a set that you will fall in love with instantly. You and the pearls deserve each other, after all.