Old mine cut diamond is an antique measured, cut, and polished by hand to give a warm, charming, and romantic glow. Its soft look, large facets, and noticeable culets make it stand out from the modern cut diamonds. They existed for a long time before diamonds were considered for engagement rings, but recently, they make the best antique engagement rings with a sense of character and class.
Characteristics Of An Old Mine Cut Diamond
- Facets – It has 58 large facets that produce a unique fire. The jewelers cut facets to glow in the candlelight. The lower facets, however, are short because of the large culet.
- Shape – Has a square shape with softly curved corners.
- Table – The old mine cut diamond has a small-sized table that is particularly obvious when viewed from the top.
- Culet – Has a huge visible culet that can be seen through the table, making it look unique.
- Crown and pavilion – The upper part of the girdle, the crown, is high, and the lower part, the pavilion, is deep.
- Symmetry – The cut diamond has imperfect facets with asymmetrical shapes resulting from the hand cutting.
The Name Old Mine Cut Diamond
The name comes from the old mines in India, Brazil, and South Africa, where their rough diamond was mined. Initially, the jewelers referred to any square-shaped colorless or near-colorless diamond mined in Brazil or India as an old mine cut diamond. Although with the colored diamonds mined in Africa, it became a name for any square-shaped diamond with the older style cut.
History Of An Old Mine Cut Diamond
The old mine cut diamonds go back to the 18th century, when they were popular in the early 18th century, to the last final decades of the 19th century, the hand-cutting period. It was during the Georgian, Victorian, and Edwardian eras. The old mine cut was the most popular cut before the European cut, which preceded the modern cut.
Why Buy An Old Mine Cut Diamond
- Romantic glow – The old mine cut diamond gives off a warm, charming, and romantic light, making it a perfect way to express your love for your loved ones
- Versatile – They can be placed on any piece of jewelry with or without accent stones. They are cut to look beautiful in any setting.
- Unique – Their asymmetrical shape is a unique feature that is a breath of fresh air from modern symmetrical-shaped diamonds.
At Victoria Marie Jewelers, we have the old mine-cut diamond as a part of our antique collection. Contact us for any information.